Woodkirk High Specialist Science School
Database Administrator at Jet2.com
Join LinkedIn & access Ben's full profile
Currently working as a Database Administrator for Simpson Millar LLP solicitors in Leeds, I am responsible for the databases of the firm’s ten offices. I have been a loyal employee for five years, progressing from Post Room Assistant up to my current role after showing my enthusiasm and ability for database administration. I have successfully worked in my current role since November 2010.
I am also keen to progress my skills further outside of work and I am currently studying towards earning SQL 2012 certifications. I have recently been to SQL Saturday in Dublin, which is organised by PASS and Intend on going to SQL bits in the near future.
I began working in my current role as Database Administrator in November 2010, when my predecessor moved on to a new company. Although I was working as an IT Technician at the time, I had showed an interest in and a natural understanding of database administration, as well as reliability, and so I was invited to take on the role of sole Database Administrator for the firm.
Effectively ‘thrown in at the deep end’, I had only two month’s full time training from my predecessor before becoming the firm’s sole DBA. I therefore put in a lot of hours in my own time to learn the role and develop my skills. Since taking on this role, despite minimal formal training, I have progressed substantially and I am now a competent DBA. My interest in database administration has also increased throughout my time in this role.
My general day-to-day duties involve:
• Supporting the live platform, the developers, the IT department and the finance team.
• Supporting any service desks tickets that get escalated.
• Checking that backups have run correctly.
• Checking the error logs to make sure everything is running correctly.
• Checking all SQL Server Agent jobs have run correctly.
My main projects in this role have been:
• Redeveloping the backup strategy to place emphasis on mission critical databases and to include backups to DPM and offsite storage.
• Creating a suite of SSRS reports for the Finance Team and Management Team.
• Creating a procedure to pull all the offices call data into one database so I could then create reports on it for the relevant Managers.
• Recreating various accounts procedures to enable the Accounts Team to do bulk batches rather than having to do them one at a time.
• Putting in place auditing on all databases.
• Creating various databases which have been used in various projects around the company.
• Upgrading the case management system to the newest version and troubleshooting any teething issues following on from the upgrade.
I was promoted to IT Technician in April 2009 after demonstrating my skills and my enthusiasm for IT, which were consequently recognised by the IT Department. My duties involved:
• Troubleshooting and fixing any issues that were logged through the service help desk or telephone. Generally these included issues with the case management system, Microsoft Office, the telephone system and other third party applications.
• Liaising with external providers to get issues fixed.
• Providing first line support for all systems.
• PC builds and setting up new users, such as creating user profiles.
My duties whilst working in the post room included:
• Opening and organising the post, sorting it into relevant departments.
• Scanning / processing the post to the firm’s case management system.
• Creating spreadsheets.
• Other administrative tasks.
Ritson Design Agency / Foscarini UK Agent
Leeds, United Kingdom
Owner at Crane and Control Services
Auckland, New Zealand
DBA Manager at Jet2.com
DBA at jet2
Database Adminstrator at Jet2.com
Senior Database Administrator at thebigword
SQL DBA at NHS Choices
SQL Server Database Administrator at Computer Sciences Corporation
Senior Database Administrator at Provident Financial Group UK & ROI
SQL Server DBA at Jet2.com
SQL Server Database Administrator at Lloyds Banking Group
SQL Server DBA at CallCredit