at Johanna Thomas-Corr
Join LinkedIn & access Johanna's full profile
I am a versatile, creative and reliable journalist and copywriter with broad experience in daily newspapers and in professional publications. My background is in arts and business writing, and my areas of specialism include fashion, arts, travel, education, theatre, celebrity, books and beauty. I am also adept at giving original twists to news stories, taking fresh angles on features and mining deep into subjects. I relish working to deadlines at a daily newspaper pace and I am experienced at tackling challenging roles.
Freelance writer with experience writing for the Evening Standard, ES Magazine, You magazine (The Mail on Sunday), the Literary Review and Metro International.
I have also written for the political blog Left Foot Forward (www.leftfootforward.org) on education issues.
As a freelance copywriter for Wardour, my projects have included: The Modern Muse (www.modernmuse.co.uk), a book about the UK’s most successful businesswomen in conjunction with Everywoman (www.everywoman.com); a guide to auditing for KPMG; and lifestyle features for international property group, Grosvenor (www.grosvenor.com).
I have copy-edited and proof-read reports for the think tank New Philanthropy Capital.
As a fiction writer, I have just finished writing a trilogy of novels, which I have been working on since 2008.
I was the editor of Exceptional, a magazine for Ernst & Young, which features profile interviews with some of America’s most successful entrepreneurs. I also edited monthly Insider features for the New Scientist in the US. My responsibilities included:
• Commissioning and editing long-form interviews, analysis and comment pieces, science features and books pages;
• Overseeing the work of up to 20 writers across the US and UK;
• Managing an editorial team and working account executives and US-based clients.
A year after I arrived at CityAM, the role of Arts Editor was created for me and I raised the cultural profile of the newspaper. My responsibilities included:
• Creating a new section in the paper, overseeing the form and content of the section and conceiving regular columns, including The Philistine, Out of Office and My Cultural Week;
• Liaising with the Editor, Features Editor, News Editor, production and advertising departments;
• Commissioning reviews, interviews and features, distributing work between myself and a team of writers.
I was charged with writing features on a variety of subjects, as well as producing reviews, columns and podcasts to tight daily deadlines. My portfolio included:
• Interviews with a wide variety of personalities, including Christian Slater, Valery Gergiev, Dizzee Rascal, Bill Nighy, Piers Morgan, Marco Pierre White, Sir John Tusa and Sir Tony Hall;
• Discursive features on subjects including the novel and the City, City women as social stereotypes and the importance of the creative industries to the economy;
• Reviews of films, plays, exhibitions, operas, ballets, albums and books;
• Presenting and writing podcasts, including a daily arts round and financial news for the daily CityPM podcast.
• Acting as one of the paper’s principal reporters, writing news, features, sketches and reviews.
• Commissioning across the features, comment and books pages.
• Securing reviews, features and interviews;
• Author care, developing opportunities with an author;
• Campaign management: author tours, working to a budget .
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.
Client Services: Conran Design Group at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Senior Writer at Evening Standard
Celesta Luxuries - luxury fine foods-Caviar, smoked salmon fillet, smoked sturgeon meat, salmon roe & foie gras terrine
Theatrical Marketing Assistant
Editor at Remark, Mergermarket Group
Building Services Manager at Selfridges
Freelance journalist and copywriter at freelance
Lead Chaplain at Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
Administrative Supervisor at Royal Navy
Legal & Compliance at Spectron