Warwickshire Police Authority
Owner, Warwickshire Police Authority
- Warwick, Warwickshire, United Kingdom (Coventry, United Kingdom)
- Law Enforcement
Warwickshire Police Authority's Overview
- Warwickshire Police Authority at Warwickshire Police Authority
Warwickshire Police Authority's Summary
Until 1995, the police service was run through local authorities in the same way as education or social services. In 1995, independent police authorities were set up with the sole responsibility to “secure the maintenance of an efficient & effective police force for their area”. The Police Authority holds the Chief Constable to account for policing in Warwickshire.
Police Authorities are normally made up of 17 members; 9 Councillors nominated by the local authorities in the area & 8 Independent Members who are directly appointed (at least one of whom should be a serving magistrate. In the case of Warwickshire, all the Councillors are nominated by Warwickshire County Council.
Police Authorities receive most of their funding from the Government but do set their own police council tax for the area as well.
Police Authorities are one leg of what is called the “tripartite structure for governing policing in England and Wales. The other elements are the Home Secretary who is responsible for national planning and financing and the Chief Constable who is responsible for all operational matters in the area.
The specific responsibilities of a Police Authority are:
* Set and monitor the Force budget
* Appoint the Chief Constable and senior officers
* Consult widely with local people about policing in their area
* Set local policing priorities and targets
* Monitor what the police do and how well they perform against the targets set by the Police Authority
* Publish a 3 year Policing Plan which tells local people what they can expect from their police service and report on achievements each year
* Ensure that local people get “best value” from their local police
* Oversee complaints against the police
A police authority is not unlike a board of non-executive directors to the local police service but with some significant executive jobs at a strategic level as well.
Warwickshire Police Authority's Experience
View Warwickshire Police Authority’s full profile to...
- See who you and Warwickshire Police Authority know in common
- Get introduced to Warwickshire Police Authority
- Contact Warwickshire Police Authority directly