Board Director at MMF
|Recommendations||15 people have recommended Andy|
Join LinkedIn & access Andy's full profile
I love music and technology in equal measure and have spent my entire adult life combining the two.
Seasoned deal maker, combining strong commercial acumen underpinned by extensive strategy, marketing and product development experience. Consistently recognised as a thought leader within the music business on new technology and business models. Extensive artist management experience, adept at working across a variety of genres from cutting edge to stadium level names.
Adept at working in both corporate and entrepreneurial environments in both Europe and the USA, including four start-up companies with vastly different business models and funding strategies.
The MMF (Music Managers Forum) is a trade body promoting the interests of artist managers and the artist clients they represent.
• Advising on digital, technology and commercial issues
• One of several point people for tech start-ups and established tech companies (e.g Spotify)
• Provide feedback to tech partners on product development to better serve artist community
• Industry and government lobbying, both in the UK and US
• Extensive involvement with UK Music GVA economic report submitted to the UK government
Start-up artist management company, with offices in the UK and Los Angeles. Clients past and present include: Dido, Anastacia, Cher Lloyd, Andreya Triana, Aston, Katherine Jenkins, Rebecca Ferguson.
• Commercially focused artist management role working across the entire roster on a global basis
• Responsible for all deal negotiations, re-negotiations and compliance; instructing artist lawyers
• Deals included: recording, publishing, touring, corporate and endorsement, merchandise, digital
• Financial planning for all artists in conjunction with artist accountant/ business manager
• Responsible for business operations across all UK and US corporate entities
• Financial forecasting, reporting, company filings and investor relations; instructing accountants
• Managed company's legal affairs (including contentious issues); instructing lawyers
• Negotiated and managed a number of joint venture relationships/ investments for the company
Start-up artist management company, with two sister companies: Sound Advice (Legal) and Sound Advice (Financial). My role ran concurrently across the management company and law firm.
• Led all digital-specific deal activity across both entities
• Advised on commercial aspects of 360-degree rights deals and emerging business models
• Point person for all digital partner relationships and suppliers, first port of call for many start-ups
• Project management: oversaw digital operations for management clients, mentoring and team building across content, marketing, PR and e-commerce
• Clients included: James Morrison, Fyfe Dangerfield, Blue Roses, James, Gurrumul, Chase and Status, Pendulum, Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)
Start-up law firm, with two sister companies: Sound Advice (Financial) and Connected Artists (a management company). My role ran concurrently across the management company and law firm.
The role was a non-legal consultancy, working alongside the partners of the firm, advising on the commercial aspects of so called 360-degree deals, digital music rights and emerging business models.
In The City was founded by the late Tony Wilson (television presenter and co-founder of the iconic Factory label) and his partner Yvette Livesey. High profile event included keynote interviews, panels, gigs and showcases.
• Longstanding relationship dating back to inaugural 1992 event
• Advised on programming content, covering all aspects of the music business and new technology
• Leveraged extensive network to attract senior level individuals from across the global music business
• Exhaustive digital market analysis, emerging download trends and prospects for streaming
• Digital strategy and project management for major recording artists
BRAND/ CORPORATE CLIENTS:
• Consultancy work for CSL and Vexed. Undertook Digital and CRM projects for clients such as Sky, Vodafone, Lexus, American Express, Domino’s Pizza and The De Vere Group.
Music rights start-up focusing on two core areas of business: rights acquisition via a $300m fund and business management services to major artists. Offices in London and New York, main board members contained several former worldwide Chairman & CEO level executives (Saatchi & Saatchi, Sony Music, EMI Music).
• Global responsibility, reported to the CEO and main board
• Led KMG’s digital, marketing and commercial strategy across all acquisitions
• Client development for business management division
• Clients included Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, Robbie Williams, Shakira, Genesis and Sting
Provided web-based information services to music, radio and media industries in 17 countries. The company was subsequently acquired by Nielsen.
• International role for a German owned media company with offices and clients around the world
• Managed board level relationships with key corporate clients and partners on a global basis
• Managed new product development project for the radio sector
• Oversaw 23% year-on-year increase in revenue
• Advised on all aspects of digital marketing and CRM
• Managed strategic content partner relationships and key artist relationships (e.g. OzzFest)
• Artist management company for Paul Oakenfold, Richard Ashcroft and Lemon Jelly
• Undertook two artist development projects (one Pop, one Alternative)
• Concluded acting deal for one music client appearing in a Working Title produced movie
VC-funded start-up producing 360-degree web rights for major acts such as U2, Genesis and New Order
• Managed six figure web development budgets and cross-functional teams
• Developed first ever artist branded ticket pre-sale and early mobile content deals
• Artist-focused creative role; reporting to CEO, forming part of senior management team
• Managed key investor relationship: Tony Smith, the members of Genesis and Phil Collins
MARKETING STRATEGY AND PLANNING:
• Advised on all aspects of marketing strategy and planning across all labels and genres of music
• Campaigns included: George Michael, Bob Dylan, Sade, Jamiroquai, Manic Street Preachers
EXECUTIVE SUPPORT TO CHAIRMAN & CEO:
• Reporting to the Chairman on specific artist campaigns, market trends and new media issues
• Due diligence work relating to major artist, label deals and acquisitions
BMG InterAct was a start-up division focusing on developing direct marketing techniques, which later evolved into BMG’s Digital Division. InterAct played a key role in breaking Take That, M People, Natalie Imbruglia, etc.
The role involved improving consumer engagement and insight and facilitating the cross-promotion of artists, where relevant, across the BMG roster. This was a truly ground-breaking operation and role which is now considered as the "industry standard" for the sector.
One of the first major academic papers on digital music: considered how emerging technology could provide better and broader consumer engagement. Achieved highest grade in year group and won widespread industry recognition.
Subjects included: Economics, Corporate Strategy, Marketing, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science and IT.
Final year dissertation was a 30,0000 word thesis on the digital distribution of music (as above).
Activities and Societies: DJing, writing, college radio, promoting gigs; highlights including working with and Nirvana, Primal Scream and The Wedding Present.
Integrated Digital Marketing Strategist > Integrated marketing,with psychology & cutting edge lead generation tactics.
Brisbane Area, Australia
Vice President, Business Development, Nielsen
Greater New York City Area
Business Manager - UK Central Region at Watson Marlow Pumps Group
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Director at Arthur Financial Recruitment | firstname.lastname@example.org | 020 3587 7908
London, United Kingdom
Finance Consultant at Beyond the Banks / HIA Finance
Brisbane Area, Australia